Skip to main content

Travelling with rabbits, rodents and certain other species of pet animals within the European Union or returning from third countries

Changing environments and the journey itself can be very stressful for some species. It is important to consider whether we might be doing the animal a greater favour by providing it with care at home. It should be borne in mind that if an animal becomes ill in a foreign place, it is usually more difficult to find vets specialising in other species. The requirements for the movement of certain pets are not harmonised in European legislation, so the national legislation of each European Union (EU) Member State must be taken into account. It is also important to take into account the conditions of third countries and EU Member States that are only crossed when travelling.

Non-commercial movement of animals

When an animal travels with a person who is named as the owner on the animal's identification document and the purpose of the movement is neither a sale nor a change of ownership of the pet, it is a non-commercial movement. If the conditions for a non-commercial movement are not met, we are talking about import or trade, where the conditions are regulated by other rules.

Some species may be protected and in some cases must be accompanied by a Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) certificate at the time of movement.

Types of pet animals in Slovenia

Animals that can travel under non-commercial conditions, in addition to dogs, cats, ferrets and some birds, are:

  • Invertebrates, animals that do not have a vertebrate backbone. These are insects, arachnids, crustaceans and molluscs, except bees and bumblebees, molluscs and crustaceans.
  • Ornamental aquatic animals, aquatic animals that are captured, farmed or placed on the market for ornamental purposes only.
  • Amphibians, tetrapod vertebrates with an unstable body temperature which can also breathe through their skin (frogs, tadpoles, salamanders). Their eggs are surrounded by a gelatinous cover and generally spend only part of their lives on land.
  • Reptiles.
  • Rodents and rabbits, except those intended for food production.

Conditions for the non-commercial movement into Slovenia of rabbits, rodents and certain other species of pet animals

Taking into account the specificities of each species, the animal must be identified or described in such a way that a link between the animal and its owner can be ensured. The insertion of a chip may also be an option if appropriate for the animal. The microchip must meet the same standards as those for dogs and cats, otherwise the owner must carry a suitable reader.

The animal must be accompanied by an appropriate document establishing the link between the owner and the animal. It is important that the document indicates the owner of the animal and a description of the animal (species, breed, sex, colour, size, weight, age). This is not a document written by the owner, but for example:

  • a receipt from the pet shop where the animal was bought, or a receipt from a vet, if they contain the relevant information,
  • the sale and purchase contract, or
  • other appropriate certificate.

If you wish to travel with a pet that is not considered a pet, the conditions for trade or import must be met.

Point of entry into Slovenia

Owners can enter Slovenia with their pets through certain border crossing points (point of entry). Which crossing point they can enter through depends on the country they are travelling from.

From European Union countries and Andorra, Faroe Islands, Gibraltar, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland, Vatican City State

Entry can be at any border crossing point in the EU. Where appropriate, the competent authority will carry out documentary and identity checks on the pet animals. The owner or authorised person shall present the identification document of the pet animal and allow its verification at the request of the authority responsible for verification.

From other third countries or territories

Entry is only allowed through specific border crossing points, Travellers' points of entry, where the competent authority checks the documents and the identity of the pets. It is the responsibility of the owner or authorised person to make contact with the competent authority at the passenger entry point and to present the pet's identification document to the competent authority and allow it to be checked.