Skip to main content

The conditions for entering or travelling with pets to countries outside the European Union (EU) are set by the national laws of the third countries to or through which the pet is travelling. To avoid complications, it is advisable to find out well in advance of your planned trip what conditions your pet must meet to enter a particular third country. Some of the procedures for obtaining these conditions can take several months.

Third country requirements for the entry of pet animals

For the purpose of regulating non-commercial movements of pets, Norway, Northern Ireland and Switzerland are subject to the same conditions as EU Member States.

If the journey crosses third countries, their conditions for admitting animals into the country must also be taken into account, even if it is only a transit.

Before travelling with an animal to third country, the owner of the animal should in advance check with the destination country what the veterinary conditions and regulations are for entry of the animal into that country and, if the country so requires, obtain an import permit and a veterinary certificate. Some third countries allow dogs, cats and ferrets to be accompanied by an EU pet passport when entering the country, while others require the animal to be accompanied by a veterinary certificate issued by the official veterinarian of the competent authority.

Veterinary certificate

A document that ensures compliance with one or more animal health and welfare requirements. It is used as an identification document for animals between the Eu and third countries or territories outside the EU. It is validated and issued by the official veterinarian of the competent authority in the country from which the animal is travelling.

For movements from the EU to third countries or territories, the format and content of the veterinary certificate and any attachments are determined by the third country. For some countries, veterinary certificates for export are already prepared and published. It is possible to check whether a model veterinary certificate already exists and whether it complies with the conditions required by the country of destination, either on the website or at the Regional Office (RO) of the Administration of the Republic of Slovenia for Food Safety, Veterinary Sector and Plant Protection. If the model certificate already exists and complies with the conditions of the third country, the owner must notify the competent official veterinarian of the RO of the dispatch of the animals at least three working days before the intended journey using the shipment notification form.

If the certificate doesn't yet exist or if the form of the certificate needs to be modified (new regulations, new veterinary import conditions, additional conditions due to the occurrence of an infectious disease or other cause), the owner must draw up a model veterinary certificate (in Word) himself, in the correct and technically appropriate language, after obtaining the conditions of the third country of destination. The Slovenian language must always be the first language used in the certificate. The process of coordinating the certificate can take several weeks, so it must be done well in advance.

Some third countries also accept an EU pet passport for entry of animals into the country, according to information on their websites - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, North Macedonia. However, it is advisable to check this information with the competent authority of the third country concerned.

Returning to Slovenia with your pet (EU)

If you are returning to Slovenia (EU) with your pet, you should check the conditions for re-entry before the pet leaves the EU. The conditions depend on the species of pet.