Skip to main content

Support for Ukrainian Nationals in Slovenia

Slovenia is willing to help those who find themselves in need because of the war in Ukraine.

Procedure for obtaining temporary protection for displaced persons from Ukraine

As of 10 March 2022, temporary protection is introduced in the Republic of Slovenia for persons displaced from Ukraine due to the military invasion by the Russian Armed Forces.

The following categories of persons residing in Ukraine before 24 February 2022 are eligible for temporary protection:

  • citizens of Ukraine,
  • stateless persons and third-country nationals who are not citizens of Ukraine and who were granted international protection or other equivalent national protection in Ukraine,
  • family members of the persons referred to in the first and second indents of this paragraph,
  • stateless persons and third-country nationals who are not citizens of Ukraine and who resided in Ukraine on the basis of a valid permanent residence permit and who are unable to return to their country or region of origin in a safe and sustainable or lasting manner.


A person who, during the period of temporary protection, declares on entering the Republic of Slovenia that he or she intends to apply for temporary protection in the Republic of Slovenia, shall fill out an Application for Temporary Protection form which shall be submitted to the police and besides, they shall also present all the evidence at their disposal which is relevant for the decision on granting temporary protection.

A person who enters the Republic of Slovenia illegally during the period of temporary protection shall, without delay and no later than three days after entering the Republic of Slovenia, fill out an Application for Temporary Protection form and submit it to the local police office located in the area where the person in question is staying or to the administrative unit in the area where the person is staying, and besides, one shall also present all the evidence at their disposal which is relevant for the decision on granting temporary protection. The same applies to those already residing in the Republic of Slovenia, except that they shall apply during the period of their legal residence. If in these two cases the application is submitted to the police, the police shall forward it without delay to the administrative unit where an applicant for temporary protection is staying.

Persons subject to temporary protection procedures are exempt from paying fees.

By means of a summary fact-finding proceedings, the administrative unit determines whether the applicant meets the conditions for temporary protection. The applicant who has been granted temporary protection shall be delivered a card that is also valid as a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Slovenia, and this card is issued by an Administrative Unit. The temporary protection card is valid for as long as the temporary protection lasts. A card delivered to a person with temporary protection is valid for the period of the validity of temporary protection.

In addition to the right to temporary residence in the Republic of Slovenia, a person granted temporary protection shall also have the right to:

  • accommodation and meals in accommodation centres or financial assistance for private accommodation,
  • healthcare,
  • work,
  • education,
  • financial assistance or pocket money,
  • family reunification,
  • free legal assistance,
  • information on rights and obligations and assistance in exercising rights arising from Temporary Protection of Displaced Persons Act.

The reasons for termination and withdrawal of temporary protection are laid down in Article 6 of the Temporary Protection of Displaced Persons Act. However, in accordance with the Government Decision, the duration of temporary protection shall last for one year after the Decision enters into effect and may be extended for a maximum of two times for the period of six months each.

After the termination of temporary protection, the provisions of the Foreigners Act shall apply to persons who were granted temporary protection and who decide to leave the Republic of Slovenia.

Withdrawal of an intent/application for international protection in the Republic of Slovenia

You can apply for temporary protection even if you have already submitted an application for international protection. You are advised to fill in the form below legibly for each family member and once it has been signed, please send the form to the following e-mail address:, or contact the police to arrange a withdrawal. You can do this at any time during the procedure until the decision on international protection has been served.

Withdrawal of an intent/application for international protection in the Republic of Slovenia

Accommodation for persons with temporary protection

The Goverment Office for the Support and Integration of Migrants (hereinafter referred to as Office) shall ensure that persons with temporary protection are properly accommodated. In line with the number of Ukrainian refugee arrivals, the Office has been seeking to increase migrant accommodation capacities. The reception of persons is carried out at the accommodation centre in Logatec and afterwards, migrants shall be placed in the available accommodation capacities. Once a certain accommodation capacity is fully occupied, the next available capacity shall be used.

Migrants are currently being housed in the accommodation centre in Debeli Rtič, but in the future, the Office is also planning to use the facilities in Jelšane, Gornja Radgona and Velenje (currently, the accommodation capacities in Velenje are intended only for people who are travelling to other countries and just need a short-term accommodation in Slovenia).

Once these capacities are fully occupied, the Office is planning to enter into agreements concerning vacant housing units with housing funds, student dormitories, Centres for School and Extracurricular Activities and other suitable state-owned facilities. Once all suitable and available state-owned capacities have been occupied, the Office will start accommodation in accommodation capacities acquired through a public call for applications.

Private accommodation

Many Ukrainian refugees have found accommodation with friends or relatives. In this case, they shall apply for temporary protection and register their residence at the nearest police station or administrative unit. Beneficiaries of temporary protection registered at private addresses are also entitled to receive a cash allowance to cover their accommodation costs.

Obtaining a tax number and bank account

To claim financial aid, one needs to provide a tax number and a bank account number. It is possible to apply for a tax number even before obtaining temporary protection. One needs to fill in the DR-02 form which is to be submitted to the tax office:

  • in person (it is necessary to have an identification document with you) or
  • by post (it is necessary to enclose a copy of your identification document).

Contact details of tax offices.

 To open a bank account, you will need to provide an identification document (temporary protection card, passport), a proof of registered residence and a tax number. An account can be opened at any bank.


Toll payment (e-vignette)

Vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of up to 3.5 tonnes (most passenger cars and light combination vehicles) with Ukrainian number plates are, until further notice, exempt from tolls on toll roads (purchasing the e-vignette), but only for the purpose of entering or crossing the Republic of Slovenia. In order to ensure a smooth toll control, drivers of the aforementioned vehicles are advised by the Slovenian Motorway Company (DARS) to communicate the registration number of the vehicle they will be using when entering the Republic of Slovenia by contacting the DARS call centre for toll collection by e-mail or by telephone +386 1 518 8 350, and they shall do so prior to their arrival in the Republic of Slovenia.


If drivers of these vehicles decide to stay in Slovenia and use toll roads during their stay in our country, they are required to obtain the appropriate e-vignette for their vehicles.

Questions and answers

How and when can I apply for international protection in the Republic of Slovenia?

You can apply for protection on the same day arriving to the Republic of Slovenia or as soon as possible after arriving. You can request the purpose of submitting an application for international protection to any state body or local self-governing community that will inform the police. After expressing your intention for applying for international protection to an official person, you will be referred to or brought to the police. More information is available on our website in Slovenian and English Language.

What rights do applicants for international protection have?

  • the right to follow the proceedings in a language they understand,
  • the right to be informed,
  • the right to free legal aid,
  • residence in the Republic of Slovenia and movement within the area of the municipality in which he or she has an address of temporary residence,
  • material care in the case of accommodation in an asylum home, its branch office or accommodation facilities established at or near the border, at an airport or on a ship anchored at a port or harbor,
  • emergency treatment,
  • education,
  • access to the labor market,
  • humanitarian aid,
  • pocket money.

Does the applicant for international protection have to stay in an asylum home?

In justified cases and when there are no reasons against the issuance of a permit, applicants may also spend the night outside the asylum home or its branch, in the area of the municipality where they have a temporary residence address (listed on the applicant's card). A permit for an overnight stay outside an asylum home or its branch is issued by the Office of the Government of the Republic of Slovenia for the Support and Integration of Migrants for a maximum of seven days. The total number of permits issued may not exceed a total of 60 days in a period of one year.

People from Ukraine are currently staying in the Republic of Slovenia and their three-month stay is coming to an end. What status can they get given that they cannot return to their country?

They should report to the nearest police station. We also suggest that the alien should get acquainted with the procedure and the possibility of filing an application for international protection or they will obtain this information at the police station. After filing an application at the police station, the alien will be handed over to the Ministry of the Interior, Sector for International Protection Procedures, and will be accommodated in the facilities operated by the Government Office for the Support and Integration of Migrants. If the alien has an established residence in Slovenia (alone, with relatives, friends, etc.), he or she may express the intention on staying at the residency. If the alien does not want to or will not apply for international protection and will remain in Slovenian territory or Schengen area after the expiration of the allowed short-term residence (90/180), his or hers stay in the country will be illegal. The latter means the police will issue an order with a voluntary departure deadline.

The police will be able to extend the deadline for an appropriate amount of time, if the alien should submit a request for an extension of the voluntary departure deadline before the date of expiry.

Can people cross the Slovenian border with internal documents (Ukrainian passports) that are not biometric and without a visa?

 A citizen of Ukraine may legally enter the Republic of Slovenia with a valid biometric passport.  If a citizen of Ukraine enters the Republic of Slovenia without proper documents, he will commit an offense under the Aliens Act. However, in such cases, given the war situation and the current situation on Ukrainian territory, in accordance with the Misdemeanor Law, the police will take into account the individual circumstances of the misdemeanor, which makes it particularly light and which resulted in a minor adverse effect compared to life-threatening nature of a person fleeing armed conflict. In such cases and under legal conditions, the police will issue a warning and will not fine the person.

If people do not have the appropriate documents to cross the border, but have the option of staying with relatives, can they legally stay with relatives?

In this case, we suggest that the person reports to the nearest police station together with the relative with whom he or she will be staying. At the police station, he or she will be able to make an intention to apply for international protection. His intention will be assigned to the Sector for International Protection Procedures at the Ministry of the Interior, and the alien will be able to stay with his relatives. Otherwise, such alien is illegal in Slovenia, but the police will act as described in the answers in other questions.

To which police station can they turn to when they want to adjust the status of international protection in the Republic of Slovenia?

An alien can report to any police station in Slovenia.

In case of illegal border crossing, a registered residence with relatives, who keeps a record of these kinds of applications and who will inform them of what help is available to them?

If an alien legally enters the country and settles with his relatives, he must register his residence within three days of crossing the border in accordance with the Law Registration of Residence (the host takes care of registration when staying in a hotel or other accommodation). The police will make the entry in the relevant records. The police will also provide foreigners with any additional information.

Where can I turn if I want to contribute material and financial resources to help people from Ukraine?

Caritas Slovenia and Slovenian Red Cross have opened bank accounts for raising funds to help people from Ukraine. Slovene Philanthropy - Association for Promotion of Volunteering is collecting aid in the form of material resources. More information is available at: Slovenia's assistance to Ukrainian citizens.

Where can I go if I want to offer accommodation to people from Ukraine?

For calls from Slovenia use a toll free number 080 41 42, for calls from abroad use +386 1478 7530 or via e-mail

Can a citizen of Ukraine visit a doctor in case of illness?

Citizens of Ukraine have the right to emergency healthcare:

- emergency medical assistance and emergency ambulance transport;
- emergency treatment and urgent medical and dental services in accordance with the Patient Rights Act (Official Gazette of the Republic of Slovenia, No. 15/08, 55/17 and 177/20) following the decision of the doctor;

-women's healthcare: contraceptives, terminations of pregnancy, medical care during pregnancy and at birth.