Recreational craft means a watercraft of any type, for sport or leisure, with a hull length of between 2.5 m and 24 m, irrespective of the type of propulsion.
Essential requirements for the design and construction of recreational craft
There are four categories of essential requirements for the design of recreational craft, depending on the anticipated wind strength in which the recreational craft will be used. Craft in each design category must be designed and constructed to withstand the parameters related to stability, buoyancy and other essential requirements. At the same time, they must be capable of being handled well.
Recreational craft include:
- recreational craft and part-built recreational craft;
- jet-skis and part-built jet-skis;
- components, if placed on the market separately;
- propulsion engines which are installed or specially designed for installation on or in a craft;
- propulsion engines installed on or incorporated in a craft, in which a substantial modification of the engine has been carried out;
- craft which have undergone substantial modifications.
Craft design categories
|Design category||Wind power (Beaufort scale)||Typical wave height (H⅓, in metres)|
|A||more than 8||more than 4|
|B||up to and including 8||up to and including 4|
|C||up to and including 6||up to and including 2|
|D||up to and including 4||up to and including 0,3|
- Recreational craft of design categoryA are designed for navigation in which the Beaufort scale wind strength may exceed 8 and the typical wave height 4 m or more, excluding abnormal conditions such as storm, severe storm, hurricane, tornado and exceptional sea conditions or abnormal waves.
- Recreational craft of design category B are designed for navigation in wind strengths up to and including 8 and in typical wave heights up to and including 4 m.
- Craft of design category C are designed for navigation in wind strengths up to and including 6 and in typical wave heights up to and including 2 m.
- Craft of design category C are designed for navigation in wind strengths up to and including 4 and in typical wave heights up to and including 0.3 m with occasional waves up to a maximum height of 0.5 m.
Application for the allocation of a recreational craft manufacturer code
Craft manufacturers are required to obtain a unique three-letter Craft Manufacturer Code from the Ministry. For this purpose, before placing on the market or putting into service a recreational craft, the craft manufacturer shall send to the Ministry of the Economy, Tourism and Sport a completed application for the allocation of a Recreational Craft Manufacturer Code, in which they shall select the desired three-letter code. The Ministry shall issue a decision on the allocation of the manufacturer code.