Completion of the Portuguese, German and Slovenian Three Presidencies for Climate project
- Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning
Germany’s ministry of environment initiated the project, which began on 1 July 2020. The main aim of the project was to establish a platform for vertical and horizontal cooperation of local, national and EU decision makers in activities regarding the tackling of climate change and accomplishing of zero-carbon society goals.
Many different events to raise awareness about the challenges and potential solutions for the adaptation to and mitigation of climate change took place during the project, such as the following:
- students' virtual dialogue with the German Minister of the Environment, Svenja Schulze, about the conservation of biodiversity, climate change and sustainable mobility;
- dialogue with MEPs and a representative of the Committee of the Regions;
- virtual meeting at the state secretary level during the project;
- exchange of experience and good practices regarding mitigation of and adaptation to climate change.
On behalf of the Slovenian Ministry of the Environment and Spatial Planning, the closing conference was addressed by Katja Vrtovec, who highlighted the leading role of cities in achieving climate goals and the importance of the participatory role of young people in transforming society into a climate- and nature-friendly one and finding innovative solutions to tackle the challenges of the climate crisis.
The Slovenian Presidency will present the main achievements of this project on Friday, 26 November, at the informal meeting of the ministers responsible for urban development. The German Federal Minister for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Svenja Schulze, will also mark the importance and completion of the project in her address.