Skip to content

Coronavirus disease COVID-19

Current information and instructions are available on the Coronavirus disease COVID-19 website

Maribor Prison is a prison for convicted men who are sentenced to imprisonment of up to one year and six months or if, after including remand, the remainder of their sentence does not exceed one year and six months in prison and they are from the area of the court districts of Maribor, Ptuj and Celje, convicted men from the Murska Sobota court district if they are sentenced to more than six months in prison or if, after including remand, the remainder of their sentence exceeds six months in prison, and younger convicted adult men (up to 23 years old) from the court districts of Maribor, Ptuj and Slovenj Gradec if they are sentenced to a prison sentence of up to one year or if, after including remand, the remainder of their sentence does not exceed one year of imprisonment. Remand prisoners are sent to Maribor Prison if detention is ordered by the District Courts of Maribor, Slovenj Gradec or Ptuj. In accordance with the law regulating minor offences, Maribor Prison also carries out alternate prison sentence. The spatial capacity of the prison is 146 persons.

In 1889, the most modern prison for men and women in Austria-Hungary was built in Maribor on the right bank of the Drava River. In 1942, the prison was bombed and partially demolished. With the abolition of the then Maribor Correctional Facility in 1963, which was situated between the main road to the city and the railway line on the right bank of the Drava River, the Maribor prisons moved to the present building in the centre of the city.

The building was built more than a hundred years ago and was not designed for the needs of a prison, but it has been renovated or adapted several times. It is situated on the left bank of the Drava River, in the densely built city centre, and surrounded by traffic roads. On the north side it borders the court with which it is connected with a corridor. It has five floors. The central building which is intended for imprisoned persons is connected through a covered corridor with an administrative building, which was built later. It has four floors. The prison complex is partly surrounded by a 3-metre wall that connects with the walls of both buildings.